Thursday, November 5, 2009

Bloggers Challenge- Pick a Technique- Reflection

In all of the years that I have been stamping and creating cards, I have never made a reflection card!  I greatly admire them, but for some reason, have not given it a try yet.  Some of the directions tell you to use a brayer, some waxed paper, some go into great lengths about lining up your image, some use a Mirror Image stamp (I have one- have only tried using it once..) ..... Well, I came across a tutorial for doing the reflection technique that is so easy, I am not sure why I have never given this a try before!  The link is HERE.  I have never heard of using acetate before for a reflection image- but it is fast and easy- I used Tuxedo Memento ink, and I could see right through the acetate- so the reflection went directly where I wanted it to go!  Now, this stamp has a bit of detail in it, and you can see that it transferred beautifully- this stamp is Riley Raccoon from FCD.


 Coloring it, I ran into trouble finding the 'right' colors.  I tried my Copics- but I did not have the right color to finish the sky.  While I was experimenting with colors, I found a great post on Prismacolor Pencils on Splitcoaststampers.com that is mentioned in the previous post on the Featured Stamper card.  I found some recommendations for using Prismacolor pencils-I could not help get out my pencils and give it a go. Here are the colors I used:
Raccoon- 1018- wait that is pink!  I used the Complimentary color uncoloring technique- it really does look better than the raccoon images I colored without it.....  and the GREYS: 1051, 1052, 1054 and 1056 (over the pink color- really!).
Grasses: 988, 911 and 908.  Mushrooms: 940, 942, 1034  and the log: 945, 946, 947, 948.  And, I used Black to highlight Riley's mask and darker highlights around his head and face.
I added a touch of color with the Aquapainter -Creamy Carmel and Close to Cocoa at the base of the log, then used the small grass and larger grass stamp from the FCD set called Just Breathe (again)  I added grass with Old Olive- I added the first layer, then Aquapainted over it so it looked natural- to get rid of the white spaces, then once that was dry, added another layer of stamped grasses.
  Ok, next I added a wash with the Aquapainter in Bashful Blue ink to the base of the card. I used a stamp from the Just Breathe stamp set that gives the ripples in the water with Bashful Blue.  I added another layer of color wash to deepen the color.
  For the sky, I punched out a scalloped oval, and used the blue ink with the Aquapainter and colored around the edge of the scallop.  I went over the lines with the Aquabrush to soften the lines.
  Finally, I decided to use the layout from Splitcoaststampers Sketch Challenge 253- I have not been able to do the Sketch Challenge in a while and like the way it looks with this sketch. I stamped the water waves image from Just Breath (again) again.... in blue on the background papers and on the edge triangles. I stamped the REFLECT image from the stamp set Thinking of You .  
  I added Dew Drops in the bottom Lt corner to balance the card.  Finally, I added a little bit of white gel pen by Sakura to the ripples in the water- I like the look I achieved.
CS used all SU- Sahara Sand, Choc Chip, Brocade Blue and White.
**Remember for Prismacolor Pencils and Gamsol- use a coated paper like SU Whisper White- you want the color to move on the surface and blend- not to be absorbed into the paper (like Georgia Pacific or papers good for Copic markers)

I hope you enjoyed my Reflection Technique for the day- and, thanks for stopping by! Click on the link on my sidebar to view the other Bloggers Challenge Technique ideas for today.
Shelly

16 comments:

Lisa Somerville said...

What a great way to do the Reflection Tech with detailed images. Great use of the SCS Sketch too! Beautifully colored Shelly.

Juliet A said...

You do know that is also a TJ technique, right? You could make ATCs with this technique, and show people IRL how cool it is.

(not that I would ever hint about something like that)

Ida said...

Nicely done. That image is so sweet and I love how you used the word, (Reflect) with your image and the reflection technique.

Chrissy D said...

Shelly - This is sooooo cool! I didn't know you were on the DT for FCD!!! GUess what!? I am going to be a Guest Designer in Dec for them! How cool is that! Your card is FABULOUS!

Cindy said...

You did a fantastic job!! I must give that a try sometime!!

Unknown said...

What a great technique!! You did a great job with it too!!

Anonymous said...

wonderful card! you did a fantastic job - i have never tried it before!

Kimberly Gajewski said...

Beautifully done Shelly! I've always wanted to try this technique! :D

Timbo said...

Cool card technique and great coloring. Very nice sky!

Lori said...

What a great job with this technique!

Selene Kempton said...

Awesome choice for technique and AMAZING results! Beautiful work!

Lisa Bohler said...

This turned out fantastic! I have never tried this technique successfully so I'll have to try it soon!

Anonymous said...

Great job--Love that Coon! I've never tried this tech.--yours looks great!

Michelle B. AKA JustPaintingAround said...

Fabulous! I love the reflection technique too!

Connie Babbert said...

Very pretty...that's a fun technique I haven't done in a while! Great job!

Ursula said...

Oh my gosh, Shelly, this turned out amazing!! You achieved just the perfect amount of reflection on a very detailed stamp - that's quite impressive!! I love that you used the reflected REFLECT word, too! What a stunning card! :o)